Friday, February 25, 2011

“When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth.” George Bernard Shaw

What are you laughing at? I enjoy laughter, and I enjoy giving other people something to laugh about. I also enjoy teaching. I am old enough now to have come across a few little bits of wisdom that might be of use to someone else. I want to get these written down before I forget them. That way when I do forget them I can look them up and enjoy them all over again.

Sometimes the truth hurts. We would really rather not think about it; at least not now.When we are exposed to a truth through the medium of laughter we tend to take it in more easily. Like “The chocolate coating makes it go down better” on the miracle pill made by Miracle Max in “Princess Bride,” a little humor helps the truth slide into our lives a little more easily.

Jesus was the greatest teacher ever. He wasn't afraid to use humor: “Remove the beam from your own eye then you can remove the splinter from your neighbor's eye.” “It's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle ...”

So, enjoy the humor. Remember the laughter, but don't forget to think about it. And just maybe we will grow in the truth a little bit more today.

Thanks for reading.
Come back real soon.
The Old Preacher

No comments:

Post a Comment