Saturday, March 5, 2011

RELATIONSHIPS: 2

Time wounds all heels.

(This one is by special request.)

Every once in a while a daddy gets it right. He says just the right thing at just the right time and his daughter is helped. She remembers it. He is her hero! And she wants him to do it again. And again.

She had just been hurt by the latest “one” and Daddy came to comfort. I knew that she would eventually get over it. I also knew I couldn't tell her she would eventually get over it. Some things you just don't say out loud! I wanted to say, “Time heals all wounds.” It's true, but she couldn't hear that; not yet anyway. So I remembered having heard it turned backwards: “Time wounds all heels.”

Do we still use the word “heel?” Yeah, I know, it's a part of the foot and all the derivative meanings from that. But is it still used to refer to a contemptible person? If not, it ought to be! Otherwise the humor in this saying falls a little flat. It's amazing: the healing power of a little daddy-daughter giggle time.

I believe she heard both messages. “With a little time you will feel better, and sooner or later, he will get what he deserves.” The Lord claims the right to exact whatever vengeance He chooses. He only asks us to give Him time to work His healing in us.

Think about it.
Come back soon

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are the "Daddy" of my children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you must be the best daddy in the whole wide world. some little girl was awful lucky to have had YOU to make her laugh through her tears.

    ReplyDelete